Monday, June 29, 2009

My house

So, here I am in Berdychiv! I finally opted for the house option of my two options. It's not bad . . the kitchen's a bit small and doesn't even have a sink or anything, so I use buckets as my sink, buckets for my laundry, and take bucket baths in the corner of the kitchen. And, of course, I have an outhouse, which sounds scary, but the biggest issue I've had so far is the guard dog outside, who was nameless (Ukrainians don't name their pets), but who I've named "Chuvak", which means "dude" in Russian. For the first few nights at my house, I was scared to come home after dark because the dog friggin' barks and yaps all the time, and everytime I would go to the outhouse he would follow me and growl. But I took care of that by bribing him with a hot dog, so now we're buddies. Now he literally follows me everywhere, I'm sure because he wants food. And today he even ventured inside my house for a few minutes and sat there!

Today is a big day because I'm getting a refrigerator! No joke. . . this is a big deal. My counterpart and her family is bringing it over and then we're going to have a picnic at my house. Where? I have no clue.. . . . maybe on the street? Considering I have no chairs, this will be interesting.

Other than that, nothing new has been going on. I'm going to start working on a grant this week to get my organization a laptop so they can go around Berdychiv and do different types of trainings. I'm still not really understanding most of what is said to me, but I go along with it anyways and just say "da", so they think I'm smart. On of these days that's going to backfire and I'm going to end up being married to a 20 year old or something.

Oh. and Blogger's being stupid so I can't upload photos right now. Hopefully I'll have pics of the house up by the end of the week.

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment