I've learned a few things since being here, but of course, every day I learn something more. For instance, last Friday I learned that while there are no real inner cities here in Chirnigiv, there are, in fact, people that like to dress ghetto circa 1993. I also learned the hard way that Ukrainians do not like you to be dressed in wet clothes, even if it's a million degrees out, and they will stop at nothing to keep it that way. Let me explain.
Last Friday, the Ukrainian national team was playing Croatia in a soccer match. Of course, I wanted to watch, so Rachel and I go to the bar near her house to watch the game. When we get there, there's a DJ playing a sweet mix of 90's hip hop that's keeping us dancing and bobbing while watching the game. We're sitting having a beer and chilling and watching us some soccer when a bunch of 20 year olds walk in, look all thug like. I swear, if you all could see them, your eyes would drop and you'd have this confused face. . .

These kids were dressed in super, ultra baggy clothes, complete with g-string showing in the back. And of course, there was the one chick dressed hoochy mama. Usually, I wouldn't take notice, but then it occurred to me that there isn't a "ghetto culture" in a 10,000 mile radius! But more to the point. . . no one, but NO ONE wears a Lakers jersey with a Mets hat. That's just not allowed. I wanted to point this out, but then we noticed that these guys were coming in by the bunchful! And there, to my surprise and delight, were the Ukrainian versions of Tupac, Kanye, and Eminem. . . all in one place! What a joy to watch a soccer game AND the people watching the game, all in one shot!
Now, on to lesson 2. . . and pay attention. On Sunday, our language group hosted a BBQ for our host families as a thank you. It was at a local Ukrainian restaurant that had a tent outside that we rented out. It was really nice until it started to rain. And not just rain but hail! So me, Galya, and my host sister Nastya are outside, bearing the weather, to finish cooking the chicken (which no one else wanted to cook so we volunteered), and when all the chicken was cooked, we walk inside the tent. I'm soaked, but it's cool because it was super humid and hot out. But NOOO. . . that's not acceptable. As soon as I walk in the tent, Rachel's host mom, Valya, walks over to me, in Russian saying, "Jessee-ka, you're wet, you'll catch a cold, this is not okay", grabs the bottom of my t-shirt, and literally strips in off of me. . . IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE GROUP AND THEIR FAMILIES! So there I am, in my sports bra, in front of everyone and their families, and she comes over and makes me put on her jacket while my shirt dries. Mind you, I had my own jacket and kept saying that, but for some reason it was insisted that I wear hers. She actually wanted to take it home and wash my shirt, but I refused, and later, when the sun came out, I dried it a bit and put it back on, to her dismay. All of this, as a sidenote (DAD) is without any vodka being consumed by yours truly. Only after I had been violated by Rachel's host mom did I decide that now would be the appropriate time to begin drinking. And now, for some pics. . .
Shots were needed. . .
PS. It's hotter than Hades here. . . I feel like I'm in DC during the summer! For those of you who know what that feels like, you all know how much I want to just walk around naked all day and jump in a cold pool. But alas. . .. I cannot. Apparently there are only 2 tempuratures here. . . . humid and blazing hot, and cold and friggin' Antarctica.
No comments:
Post a Comment