Sunday, December 20, 2009

Winter wonderland, albeit a bit chilly.

So here I am, sitting in my apartment on a very, VERY wintry morning and drinking my instant coffee. Could anything be more perfect? Well, let considering that it’s about 30 degrees in my apartment and the temperature outside has just hit -5 (this is all in Fahrenheit for you kids), yes. . . a little heat would be nice.

But that’s just how we roll here in Ukraine. My apartment has centralized heat, meaning that it only has one setting and that’s whatever the government wants it to be. And that decision is controlled by how much gas is available and how much money the city has to pay for that gas. Which essentially is another way of saying that I don’t have any heat. This includes at the office, which doesn’t even have a radiator, so we’ve been all huddling around the space heater with our jackets on. Who says that doing Peace Corps Africa is rough?!! I challenge all of those people to come here for a winter!

The weather outside is pretty awesome though. As all of you who know me are already aware, I LOVE the snow!! And it’s been snowing here for 3 days straight! I feel like I’m in Colorado. . . except without the mountains. . . and the pot. . . . and the ski lodges. But I get to see some fun fur here like out West! I apologize for wanting any of my vegetarian friends to come and visit me. My advice to you (if you were considering) is wait until the summer, when all the leather jackets and boots lined with real fur are stored away and you don’t have to see them.

The days here have gotten really short. The shortest day of the year is next week. And apparently the lack of sun has really done a number on most of the volunteers that I know (including myself). We have all become extremely irritable. Or, in Rachel’s case, a crying mess. I’ve just been cranky all the time. This trip to Amsterdam couldn’t come at a better time! At least in the cafés there, there will be heat (I hope) and sun (let’s pray).

And yet the only thing I keep reminding myself of is, “at least I’m not in Grishkivtsi anymore and don’t have to use an outhouse or deal with a frozen well”. That in and of itself is enough to get me out of whatever little funks I get into. And my brilliant purchase of Sorrel boots (thank you for the suggestion Kat), down jacket, and never-ending steals from the “free box” in the Peace Corps office doesn’t hurt either.

I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone who’s been sending me stuff. Thank you sooooo much!! Given the weather and how it’s affecting the attitudes of everyone here, everything couldn’t have come at a better time! I love you all!!!

Stay warm everybody, and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment