Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Good 'Ol Joe

So, I'm in Kiev right now and just finished hearing Joe Biden speak and got to shake his hand. He was meeting with the President and Prime Minister of Ukraine today so Peace Corps invited all volunteers who wanted to come to stay the night in Kiev (on them) and hear him speak at the new Hyatt (which, by the way, is SUPER posh!) We got to the Hyatt (we weren't staying there) at around 8:30am, and were literally waiting for 2 hours for a 15 minute speech. Very anticlimatic, but honestly, I was looking forward to seeing Rachel, Elizabeth, and my other buddies from training rather than haering Joe speak. So I got to see all my friends from all over the country (who I haven't seen in a month), which was nice. And I'm extending my visit for another night to see people longer, so tonight 6 or us are renting an apartment for the night so we can just chill in there. And then I go back to Berychiv tomorrow.

I actually haven't been at sight much in the past few weeks because I was working a camp last week in a little village about 3 hours outside of Berdychiv. I forgot how much I love being a counselor. I swear, when I grow up and get back to the States I am going to be a professional landsports counselor. I'm not even kidding. It was so much fun! Complete with a bonfire at night with the other volunteers staying at the camp, drunken debauchery at night, real breakfasts including eggs and french toast and peanut butter and honey, and family dinners. So much fun! Oh, and the kids were great too. No seriously. I had to teach a bunch of Ukrainians from ages 10-15 how to throw a baseball, and the theory and practice of baseball as a sport. The things we take for granted- everyone in the US knows what an "out" is. . . in theory, so do the Ukrainians, but in practice it's a different story. They loved it though, and came back later in the day after camp was over just to play catch. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. . . or maybe that was the intense burn I got from being outside all day for 5 days straight. Best farmer's tan ever!

The last exciting thing is I'm moving! I don't know where. . . I don't know when, but I know it's going to happen. I get back to Berdychiv tomorrow. . . chances are with my luck I'll have to move on Thursday. But who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment