Sunday, May 3, 2009

Don't Try to Save the World. Start an English Club

These were the wise words from our fearless leader Morat (the Community Development Director).  I have to say, those have been the wisest words I've heard from anyone since I've been here.  The gyst is this- the larger youe expectations, the more you're going to feel unsuccessful. Which is why, shockingly enough, I have no expectations for anything that is going to happen over the next 2 years.  So you can all imagine my surprise when meetings were scheduled and our cluster finally figured out the community project we're going to do for the next month!  We are going to be working with this awesome NGO called Mozart.  Mozart is a theatrical based organization that takes local kids and puts on free musicals around the city, the region, and even Europe.  Right now they're in Germany for a festival.  Anyhoo, all these musicals concern social issues that affect teenagers (teenage suicide, drugs and alcohol, domestic abuse, rape, abortion and pregnancy, etc.).  Obviously they're not happy musicals, but the music is great, the singers are really talented, and they are very well equipped with a super modern space and office set up.  

So, if that's all taken care of, what do they need our help with, you ask?  Well, originally they wanted us to actually plan and organize an event AND come with them on a tour of the Chirnigiv Oblast (which is the region I'm in).  We realized that wasn't very sustainable and we wouldn't be working with them but more for them.  What we also got out of our meeting with them was that they are having problems finding money.  Right now, I think they only have a few grants, no corporate money, and don't really know where else to find grants.  Uh hello?!!! PERFECT!  I know this stuff!  YIPPEE!!  So we're having a workshop on how to find corporate sponsors, do grant research, and other plausible fundraising areas at the beginning of June. And since we figured this would also be a great opportunity for them to network, we opened it up to other organizations/officials/whatever they they want to invite (or that we suggest may be a good connection for them).

The director, I swear, is a 17 year old in a 45 year old's body.  Love him.  He's so cute, and doesn't speak a lick of English, but he's so excited to be working with Americans in whatever way he can that he gets all giggly when we're around.  So when I broke out with a Russian "ablom", which means "bummer" (of course I only know and can remember slang phrases), he was hysterical laughing.  I think I made a friend for life.  And while we're not starting an English club, it's still a small enough accomplishment that things will be gained from it.

Other than that, life is grand.  Last night I went out with Rachel and Tony and we met up with Ukrainian Sasha (from the birthday party I had gone to).  That kid is funny.  He knows a little English, and ends every sentence with "you understand?".  And he does the best Bobby DiNero I've ever heard!  Complete with all the cussing.  Amazing!  It's fascinating to see a non-native speaker curse like a sailor based on what he's learned from the movies.  Fascinating, I tell you. Anyways, he took us to a bar that was literally in a back alley, and we walk in and it's this fancy restaurant with a bar downstairs, and it had a movie projector playing the FC Barcelona-Real Madrid game on a movie screen!  There we proceeded to hang out with his friends, and I was wearing my Rovers soccer shirt I had gotten right before I left NY.  The guy next to me asks, in broken English, where I played soccer, and was our team good, and could he have my shirt.  I told him I was wearing it (duh), but if he finds me a Chirnigiv women's soccer jersey (I didn't ask where he'll get it. . . I'm not sure I want to know, but the main reason is I don't know how to say that in Russian), I'll give him my shirt.  So I think I might have just traded a jersey for a jersey.  Although I can't be sure, because, like everything over here, I don't have an f-ing clue what's going on in general.

Last little story- I went to the forest today with a ton of other volunteers because it was Suzanne's birthday.  So her host mom brought a grill, tons of food, cognac, and wine, and we sat for hours stuffing our faces with amazing shashleeked chicken and other goodies.  Good thing I went for a run beforehand, because I don't feel as bad for eating as much as I did. However,  the weight gain hasn't happened yet (cross your fingers) because I'm only eating organic stuff and no processed anything.  The only downfall is that it's salty.  Small price to pay.

Oh, once I get to site, if anyone wants to send me jersies, or anything else American (cheap little things) that can be traded, I'll give you a million dollars. . . !

 

1 comment:

  1. I totally love your blog. It makes my day reading up on the latest jessie adventures.
    Love you!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete