Hey all,
The time is rapidly approaching for my departure to the big, bad Ukraine. I've gotten a lot of questions/concerns about how to keep in touch with me, what I'll be doing, where I'll be, etc. The answer to all of the above is. . . I have no clue! From what I've mustered up from the ever vague Peace Corps, I'll be doing Community Development. Here's the official definition of that:
The community development project was launched in 2006 as a pilot project seeking to support Ukraine in its efforts to promote ideals of the free-market system at the local level and to facilitate development of civil society. In practice, the project enhances local capacities in partnership building, business and management skills, and organizational development. Volunteers promote cooperation and partnerships among the three sectors of society— business, government, and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs)—to facilitate local address of issues of interest to communities. They work with schools and universities, NGOs, and government structures at regional and municipal levels.
Now, what the heck does all that gybberish mean? Well, from what I can make of it, I'll be going into a community, and play negotiator and mediator between a local business or organization and the government. That and I'll probably be building some sort of non-profit along the way. But who knows. . . according to returned volunteers, the title you get doesn't necessarily mean that's what you're doing. . . I'm sure I'll be doing all sorts of things. Moral of this tale is. . . . when I know, you'll know.
No comments:
Post a Comment